NYA UTRIKESPOLITISKA SAMFUNDET I FINLAND or NEW FOREIGN POLICY SOCIETY IN FINLAND
was established in June 2017 by private citizens, concerned about the state of the world. The Society will act as a forum for free debate about foreign policy issues and offer information about international affairs. It invites speakers and arrange debates about burning problems, both from a Finnish and a global perspective. The Society convenes mostly Swedish-speaking Finns, but accepts all who are willing and able to participate in its activities.
After five months and five debates, the Society had reached 186 members. The five meetings were:
- Russia internally, with two Finnish correspondents from Moscow and St. Petersburg
- The German election with a journalist and former Finnish ambassador René Nyberg
- 4 presidential candidates examined by a professor of Helsinki University and the Society chair
- Trump´s USA with former US Ambassador Charles C. Adams and Juri v. Bonsdorff, DC.
- Catalonia as a legal issue, with the European Court judge, prof. Allan Rosas
These five arrangements convened altogether approx. 400 participants.
The Society is chaired by Minister (hon.) Pär Stenbäck, former minister of Foreign Affairs and of Education (1979-83), also former SecGen of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Geneva) and now founding board member of the International Crisis Group (ICG).